Celebrity stylists give you the step by step to simple summer hairstyles
Summer is just around the corner, and now that winter is long gone, we get to ditch the sweaters and boots and don our bikinis and shorts. The days of worrying about hat hair are behind us and we will now be able to style our gorgeous locks with some fun braids and natural looking waves.
TRESemme celebrity stylists John D & Marco Peña, who have styled Latina superstars Shakira, Thalia and Genesis Rodriguez, have given us some helpful tips on how to create this summer’s most fashionable hairdos with step by step instructions for the perfect look.
Whether you’re hitting up brunch with the girls or a fun day at the beach, you’ll look fabulous in any of these easy DIY hairstyles.
First, we’ll start with something we’ve seen a bit this year, especially at music festivals like Coachella. One of my personal favorites, the classic beach waves with a flower crown. If you want this do, just follow the simple steps outlined below.
Products needed: TRESemme Perfectly (un)Done Wave Creation Sea Foam and TRESemme Perfectly (un)Done Sea Salt Spray
Styling Instruments: 1-inch curling iron and 1-inch flat iron.
1. Prep dry, clean hair by applying the Sea Foam and diffuse.
2. Alternating between the curling iron and flat iron, curl with a mix of round waves and S-shaped waves.
3. Spritz your palms with the Sea Salt spray and run your hands through your hair.
4. Top it off with your favorite flower crown!
For the next look, we take it up a few notches and add in some braiding and more texture to the hair by adding in a classy braid.
Products needed: TRESemme Perfectly (un)Done Wave Creation Sea Foam and TRESemme Perfectly (un)Done Ultra Brushable Hold Hairspray.
Styling Instruments: Diffuser, 1-inch curling iron and 1-inch flat iron.
1. Prep dry and clean hair with Sea Foam and diffuse until dry.
2. Just like the first style, alternate between 1-inch curling iron and a 1-inch flat iron, to mix S-waves and round waves.
3. Create a side-part and begin Dutch braiding (also known as reverse french braid), I found that the French braid is also pretty, so don’t be intimidated by that Dutch braid! Begin braiding at the side and work your way back. Do the same on the opposite side, creating a sort of crown.
4. Tie the braided ends together with pins and the ends out.
5. Mist the style with the Ultra Brushable Hold Hairspray. VOILA!
The last style is probably the more complicated one, but so worth it because it seriously makes you feel like a princess.
Products needed: TRESemme Perfectly (un)Done Wave Creation Sea Foam and TRESemme Perfectly (un)Done Wave Perfectly Gelee, TRESemme Perfectly (un)Done Ultra Brushable Hold Hairspray.
1. Prep your dry and clean hair with the Sea Foam and diffuse it until dry.
2. Part your hair down the middle and define the hair that frames the face using the 1-inch curling iron.
3. Coat your hands with the Gelee and gather hair into two low pigtails braids and secure with elastic.
4. Make your pigtails into braids and secure them with an elastic at the end.
5. Back brush your braids for a tousled look and secure the braids at the top of your head with pins.
6. Finish it off with a spritz of the Ultra Hold Hairspray.
Every single one of these products, I’ve used on myself and let me tell you, they really do create the “perfectly undone” look that is in this summer and spring. My favorite has to be the Brushable Ultra Hold Hairspray because it doesn’t leave any white residue on your hair and it can be brushed right out when your day is over, while still creating a lasting hold throughout the day. Also, we can all agree that everyone loves beach hair. You know, when you get out of the salt water and your hair does these perfect beach curls? With the Sea Foam and Sea Salt Spray, you don’t need to make a trip to the beach to get those classic waves! Now you’re ready to rock your summer style with these fabulous and easy to do hairstyles suitable for any gal.
Our friend and celebrity stylist, John D has provided us with some professional tips to make the process even easier.
- Bending bobby pins slightly at the center to create a curve that lies flat on the head gives a more secure hold.
- When styling hair in a crown braid, loop the ends of the hair into the elastic for a cohesive final look when the braids are pinned up.
- The Perfectly (un)Done Wave Perfecting Gelee is PERFECT for those pesky flyaways and frizz without leaving your hair stiff or crunchy. Apply some to your palms before braiding the hair and voila! No more flyaways or frizz!
- To create a soft bend in the S-wave while curling, make sure to loosely clamp the grip of the flat iron and hold the ends of your hair to create tension. This will create a more defined look.
Be sure to send us your pictures of your favorite summer hairstyles and let us know what you think in the comments section!