Johnny Sky caught on our selfie cam, talks ‘Quiereme’ and new album
Brooklyn-born Pop Tropical Urbano music artist, Johnny Sky, has had a hectic couple of weeks and the 18-year-old is showing no signs of slowing down.
As of now, some of the year’s most notable highlights for Johnny Sky’s career include: a nomination to Univision’s Premios Juventud 2015 in the category of Revelación Juvenil del Año or Break out Artist of the year, his first single “With or Without You” reached #1 on Billboard’s Tropical Chart, and he was signed to independent record label Premium Latin Music (which was the first to sign musical group, Aventura, and launch them into the Hispanic music market.)
“It’s been a really quick year and a lot of good things have been happening this year and the year’s not over!,” said Johnny Sky in an interview with Press Pass Latino.
“There’s still a lot to come and hopefully by the grace of God all of these good things start picking up real quick.”
Sky speaks to us after an early morning performance in “Despierta America” and tell us he’s headed back home to New York where he will be making an appearance and holding a signing at Long Island’s Smith Haven Mall.
“My next stop is New York…I haven’t been home in a while and I’m going for a signing so I’m super excited,” he said. “My fans are welcome to come, kiss me, love me, harass me, do whatever you want, just be there, I want to have some fun.”
He affectionately refers to his fans as #Skylators and though, he can’t pick a personal favorite from his self-titled album, Johnny Sky, he confesses “Quiereme” is the song fans can’t seem to get out of their heads and love the most. Something which he definitely doesn’t mind.
“Everybody’s loving that song!,” said Sky, whose parents are from Dominican Republic. “I’m glad they’re loving the song so much because I really enjoy performing it.”
Fun Facts about Johnny Sky:
* He was selected to participate as part of New York’s Metropolitan Opera House’s Children’s Choir when he was just nine years old.
* His second passion after singing, spending time on stage, and working on his music is fashion! He admits he looks up to men’s wear style icon and recording artist, Kanye West for style inspiration.
* One of his two sisters is named Daisy (and shares her name with yours truly.)
* When he was younger his parents were not able to afford a music teacher for him but soon taken aback for his talents she obliged.
* Internationally renown singer Placido Domingo is one of his biggest mentors.
Press Pass’D: East Los High 3 now streaming, sizzles on Hulu
Check out Johnny Sky’s official video for ‘Quiereme’ below: